TIGERDECK® TIGERWOOD HARDWOOD PORCH INSTALLATION
TigerDeck® porch flooring is manufactured to the same tongue and groove specifications as standard hardwood interior flooring (except length and end matching). It’s perfect for covered, exterior applications such as porches and gazebos, but should not be installed outside in uncovered areas. ALWAYS refer to ‘Installation’ then ‘Before you Begin’ on our website before installation of any Tiger Deck product.
While installing our TigerDeck® porch product outside is similar to installation for TigerDeck® interior flooring, there are some key differences:
- Acclimatize your delivered porch boards in the same area they will be installed (refer to ‘Products’ then ‘Product Downloads’ then ‘Acclimating’ for detailed instructions).
- Install only over open joist systems (no barrier between bottom of porch boards and free flowing air space). Use 16” joist spacing (or less).
- Fasten to joists with nailers or narrow crown staplers through the tongue at appropriate angle as in interior flooring but use stainless steel nails or staples at least 1 3/4″ or longer.
- For more long term hold down strength we highly recommend adding pre-drilling with counter sink and screw down with stainless steel 1 1/2″ or longer screws around the porch surface perimeter through joists; and one screw in the center of the end of each butt joint board (if there are any butt joints).
- Add a professional touch by allowing for wood plugs while counter sinking screws, then sand plugs flush.
- Do NOT use a moisture barrier on the ground under the porch—well drained sand or gravel is best.
- Exterior application demands a minimum of twice the square feet of ventilation exposure under the porch surface as do residential home foundations under the floor surface.
- Install TigerDeck® Tigerwood porch as tight as possible, leaving a small expansion gap of ¼” on one end and one side.
- Sand the finished surface lightly with 120 grit or finer sanding screen or paper using an oscillating floor sander.
- We recommend coating the back of the boards with the same finish product prior to installation. One coat is sufficient.
- TigerDeck® recommends oil or water based UV protecting finishes rather than interior type surface varnishes or polyurethanes.
We would love to see digital pictures of your finished project. If you’d like to share, please email them to Mike Gerstenberger.