TIGER DECK Tigerwood DECK RESTORATION
BRING THE STRIKING COLOR BACK TO YOUR SILVERED-OUT DECK
TigerDeck® Tigerwood decking will age to a natural silver when left untreated. But if your deck has silvered out and you prefer the hardwood’s striking color, here is a detailed account of how to restore your TigerDeck®. See before, during, and after restoration photos below.
For regular maintenance see our maintenance instructions.
TO RESTORE YOUR TIGERDECK® YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS:
- PREP option 1. Oscillating flooring sander with a 12×18 sanding surface and a ‘BLACK’ abrasive pad
- PREP option 2. Quality pressure washer with about 3200 PSI capability
- For both options you will also need the following items
- A commercial deck brightener with oxolic acid as the main ingredient or oxolic crystals and warm water
- Access to plenty of water, hose and spray nozzle.
- Long handled paint roller or long handled pad style applicator and several clean towels.
- Sufficient UV Oil for 2 light coats; in the following order we recommend Cutek (Burnt Red Tint), TWP (Redwood 102), Penofin (Marine) or Messmers UV Plus. Whichever you choose, follow manufacturers recommendations for coverage recommendations.
1. WASH YOUR DECK BEFORE SANDING OR PRESSURE WASHING
Mix Penofin Restorer, Messmers Brightener/Cleaner OR Armor All Deck Brightener with water as per instructions (each product seems to produce about the same results when following manufacturers instructions).
2. SAND (WITH ABRASIVE PAD) OR PRESSURE WASH YOUR DECK
Use ‘BLACK’ abrasive pad to go over all deck surfaces, this sanding seems to work best when deck is wet. OR you can also pressure wash about 3″ above deck surface. You will see the silver removed in either option where sufficient pressure is applied (see picture below). Whether using the abrasive pad or pressure washing it is very important to wash off all the ‘slurry of dust and debris’ you are creating.
3. APPLY UV ‘SUN TAN OIL’ PROTECTANT
Apply a coat of oil when there is no direct sunlight (Cutek is more forgiving) and when your TigerDeck® is dry and cool. Roll, brush or apply oil with pad on the deck. Refer to oil manufacturers’ installation instructions for more information. Once you complete the application, we recommend you go over the whole deck with a clean towel wrapped around a shop broom (with an even coat of Cutek this step is not necessary). It’s not necessary to wipe the deck dry, but it helps to spread the sealant evenly and sop up the excess. With all products we recommend a very light second coat.
This is the last step when it comes to restoring decking. Use a small towel soaked in oil then wrung out to ‘touch up’ spots that look like they may need it.
SAND (abrasive pad) or PRESSURE WASH THE DECK
RESTORED TIGER DECK