TIGERWOOD DECK RESTORATION
BRING THE STRIKING COLOR BACK TO YOUR SILVERED-OUT DECK
TigerDeck® Tigerwood decking will age to a natural silver when left untreated. But if your deck has silvered out and you prefer the hardwood’s striking color, here is a detailed account of how to restore your TigerDeck®. See before, during, and after restoration photos below.
Before proceeding with your deck restoration project, try the wet test: If you don’t like the way your deck looks when it’s dry, but you do like the way it looks when it’s wet, you only need to add a light coat of UV sealant. See our maintenance instructions.
To make the process of restoring decking easier for you (and your deck), save this project for a mild, dry day.
TO RESTORE YOUR TIGERDECK® YOU WILL NEED:
- Orbital flooring sander with a 12×18 sanding surface and a 1” cushion Velcro pad
- One sheet of 100-grit sandpaper and 2 sheets of 120 grit sanding screen
- Hand held orbital sander (180 grit wet/dry)
- Penofin Restorer, Messmers Brightener/Cleaner or Armor All Deck Cleaner/Brightener (1 Gallon for 1,240 sq. ft. deck)
- Long handled paint roller (or any other tool for rolling on oil)
- Several towels
- Sanding horizontal surfaces = 1 person 2 hrs. for 400 sq. ft.
- Washing off sanding dust = 1 person 1/4 hour
- Applying Penofin coat = 1 person 1 1/4 hours for 400 sq. ft.
Total Man Hours = 3.5 hours for a 400 sq. ft. deck
1. WASH YOUR DECK 2-3 DAYS BEFORE SANDING
Mix Penofin Restorer, Messmers Brightener/Cleaner OR Armor All Deck Cleaner/Brightener with water as per instructions (each product seems to produce about the same results). This may be sufficient depending on what results you are after. If this is not necessary, go to step 2.
2. SAND YOUR DECK
Begin sanding your deck when all surfaces are completely dry. Use 100-grit sandpaper to quickly go over all deck surfaces. Then use the 120 – 150 grit screens to go back over all surfaces carefully. If some areas still have well-penetrated oil while others appear more silver, try our wet test: Simply wash your deck with normal water pressure. Wipe off excess water with a dry towel. If the coloring is even when the deck is wet, your restoration will turn out beautifully.
3. APPLY UV PROTECTANT
Apply a coat of sealant when there is no direct sunlight and when your TigerDeck® is dry and cool. Roll, brush or apply oil with rag on the deck. Refer to manufacturers installation instructions for more information. Once you complete the application, we recommend you go over the whole deck with a clean towel wrapped around a shop broom. It’s not necessary to wipe the deck dry, but it helps to spread the sealant evenly and sop up the excess.
This is the last step when it comes to restoring decking. Use a small towel soaked in oil then wrung out to ‘touch up’ spots that look like they may need it.
AFTER WASHING DECK
SANDING THE DECK
RESTORED TIGER DECK