TigerDeck® Tigerwood Decking – Important Installation Tips
1. Never install any TigerDeck® product flat against green treated wood, roofs, concrete or in any application which traps moisture behind the piece (the obvious exception is Tigerwood deck board back against any joist edge, green treat or otherwise). Flat face to flat face creates a moisture gradient and almost always creates a heat gradient as well. This condition creates stresses, which will cause ‘cupping’, ‘splits’, ‘warp’ and other types of damage. Always use TigerDeck® products as a system and as per our design intent. EXAMPLE: TigerDeck® Tigerwood decking boards must be gapped by our clips or 3/16” apart if face screwed to allow air/water flow.
2. If you want a solid surface with no gaps for covered exterior use, purchase our TigerDeck® T&G Porch Flooring. EXAMPLE: Installing TigerDeck® on a room roof demands a floated system; use 2×2 or 2×4 TigerDeck as joists, Tigerwood lathe between roof and joists, drill vent holes in fascia and use our BlackTalon® fastening system.
3. All screws should be pre-drilled to prevent splitting (the only exceptions are the screws provided with our BlackTalon® clips when screwed into softwood joists). All screws should also be stainless steel to match the quality and longevity of TigerDeck® products. Minimum space between product and ground or concrete is 16”, installed on wooden joist material with adequate ventilation and drainage under the deck.
4. TigerDeck® Tigerwood decking, like most other wood products, will leave black marks from oxidation when iron is in direct contact with the wood. To avoid this use non-metallic coasters, left over pieces of Tigerwood or blocks to separate metal from direct contact with TigerDeck® products.
5. Safety Recommendations: While we have not heard of any allergic reactions to TigerDeck® materials, it is always recommended when working with hardwood lumber to wear safety glasses and a dust mask. Wood slivers should be removed immediately to prevent infection. All standard safety precautions should be used when cutting, shaping or drilling the product.
Want to use TigerDeck for your next project?
Find your local distributor today.